Sunday 22 April 2012


From time to time I wake up in the morning with a strange question floating inside my head. This morning I opened my bleary eyes, yawning and stretching, and all I kept thinking about was the notion of 'expanding universe'. I lay my head back against the pillows, trying to picture a sense of what an expanding universe 'looks' like - what it meant in concrete terms.

As I kept trying to find a way to 'picture' the meaning of a term so elusive in essence, the Internet and its myriad of data added to it every single minute of the day or so, came to mind. Suddenly I found it easier to 'picture' concretely what an expanding universe really is about rather than remain vaguely aware of a notion with no way of being able to 'see' it for myself.

It made me wonder if such technological advances weren't inspired by discoveries of how the universe itself works. After discovering that the universe wasn't the closed-up ball we thought it was, the idea that 'things' could somehow perpetually 'expand' ad infinitum must have inspired quite a few brains out there.

If the universe is ever-expanding, then so must all others things on a micro level - or the possibility to make it so. Arguably, even the mind is in itself nothing short of a universe within all of its own. Sometimes I look at computers and all the advances we've made, and it feels strangely like looking at a world of brains inside out.

No comments: