Monday 19 March 2012

About Music


When I was around 12 years of age, I had my first encounter with instrumentals (other than pure classical music) and for some reason it was through Vangelis. It marked me in a way that can hardly be described. It was as though my heart had been awakened. It marked me because suddenly I was aware of music being created that tapped right into the heart. More precisely, it could stir one's imagination and in turn evoke feelings within one's heart.

I have a composer friend who has told me all about modern ways of creating music, and how the most famous soundtrack composers now can compose emotional instrumentals at the touch of a keyboard that has all the main 'sounds' registered... and how only a few repetitive keys suffice to bring out emotions through sound, etc...

Though I was disappointed to learn that even music today as we hear it is a form of emotional exploitation (especially through movies and mainstream music), I just can't forget that music, in the end, was what always transported me so well into my own world. My universe.

I remember how, as a small child, I used to dream of escape from reality. Yet at the time I couldn't even understand what 'reality' was. It was just this 'thing' that would happen later in life and that I wanted to escape.



I remember... and then at some point I had to wake up and realise that I had to grow up and become a part of this reality I'd always wanted to escape so much even before I became immersed in it.

But music... music is still a vessel to one's own universe. It can form a seemingly eternal bridge between what we have to accept as 'real' and what feels more real within.






No comments: