Tuesday 22 June 2010

It's sunny and warm outside, but I've been stuck indoors mainly because the landlord is an insane old man who said he wanted access to the garden to repair the roof when really he actually wanted to get inside the flat to snoop around. I should know, I was there - except he didn't have a clue.

I sat on the kitchen floor and watched him try and push the door open... There was no way he could open it, not with that plank of wood stuck against it. Yes, I was laughing inwardly, of course.
He finally left and... Nothing. I was left to ponder on the most unexpected news I had yet to receive.

I got a job offer. Yes, that's right, me - someone actually wrote me an email to tell me they would want me to consider working for them. In a press office. In my university's press office. The university I hate and can't stand.

24,000 pounds a year. Imagine that.

A few days ago I had written a whole entry in my diary about how I would never be caught dead working in an office, sucked in by the machine before I even knew it, no matter how much money was on the table.

I am so very tired of these kind of 'unexpected' events... Every time I get to a conclusion in my head, something - and I don't know what it is - makes sure I'll be tested on it.

In the end, the decision is easy to make. The moment I was told they would expect of me to remain with them long-term I flinched.

I don't know what I'll be doing two years from now, but if I can afford to make a choice, then I shall make it according to what I believe in. Letting my mind die working for the system is not what I believe in.

They would want me to commit to working with them for at least TWO years?... And I'm going to say no. I must be insane.

Maybe I am, I don't know. There always was a fine line as far as I'm concerned, crossing over shouldn't be that big a deal. And to be perfectly honest, I'm already surrounded by human-looking zombies. Most of them are clinically insane but society dictates that it is part of being 'normal' so...

This should be interesting... How am I going to escape the inescapable? I don't know it yet, but I'll find a way, somehow, some day, and when I do, I'll make damn sure to tell none of you people. If that sounds mean, well, that's just because right now I do truly hate this world and its working.

I will be free.

1 comment:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.