Wednesday 27 April 2011

On Reality and the Understanding of Absolutely Everything

Stranger things have happened...


I don't seem able to stop thinking about meaning. In fact, it seems I just cannot stop thinking about the 'hows' and the 'whys' of this world. The questions keep dancing in my head, and if they ever grow subdued, it is only to come back to haunt me even more.

Because I crave understanding of all things, my imaginative side came up with all sorts of theories and stories which I haven't yet been able (or had the discipline...) to put into words.

I just cannot not think about why things are as they are, and how or what made them be as they are, and why we are 'we' or 'I'... The notion of reality and what truly constitutes that notion has taunted me from the moment I was born, I think. I was first fascinated, and as with all things that are new to me, I remain fascinated for as long as it takes for my mind to know a subject well.

The trouble with human affairs is that they are forever tainted by subjectivity, and so it is that to try and understand them one has to be able to differentiate between the micro and macro level. That's right, I'm now using economic terms. Why? Because they save me endless words and winding sentences.

The micro level is the individual one - the detail. If one is to observe the micro level, they would come to realise that this whole world is made up of smaller and smaller worlds that get smaller and smaller to eventually zero in on specific base detail. It leads nowhere, unless one likes to collect tiny detail. Of course, taking into account the laws of reality, a powerful equation could actually determine an idea of the number of detail that exist at a micro level - probably in the region of the millions. Why? Because the micro detail (say, in human beings alone) is made of all the possible genetic combinations that can be produced, along with all the possible environmental factors that can interact with the predispositions or innate traits, leading us to the fact that only an equation could get us close to an estimate (proving at the same time that reality is limited and that only a finite number of things can exist or happen and none other beyond that number). And in the end, an equation would finally prove that there is only so much that can exist on this very Earth, and that there is only so much that can happen, too. That there is a limit, and that reality is limited, and that in fact one could derive the conclusion that it is quite possible to predict reality/the future in terms of pure mathematics.

I don't care if it makes no sense... these thoughts never leave me.

The macro level comes in handy, I have to say. It is the equivalent of taking a bird's eye view of all the detail that exists (even if we cannot possibly know the number of detail that exists outside an equation at best). It is, quite simply, what sociology and other human sciences are all about. They take into account trends and generalised phenomena, turn them into statistics and the likes and... Ta-Da! We are suddenly able to draw a rough map of the way things/people function.

The macro level also comes in handy because it allows for the mind to detach itself from a plethora of conflicting micro detail that would otherwise make it impossible to ever come close to a conclusion or clear idea on anything at all. It therefore allows the mind to take a bird's eye view of the bigger picture, hopefully allowing for a better perspective away from limited perception - the latter being the plague of micro detail.

tbc...

No comments: